This position is responsible for policy research, analysis, and development in support of SEIU California’s strategic goals.
- Lead in the development of strategic policy options for SEIU California, working in close collaboration with the Government Relations and Public Affairs & Strategic Campaigns departments.
- Initiate and conduct research and analysis to support legislative and budget priorities, industry organizing opportunities, grassroots campaigns or other political mobilization work for a range of policy areas, including, but not limited to: healthcare, long term care, public and private sector and property services.
- Monitor local, state and federal legislative, budget and regulatory activity on key matters; assesses their impact on SEIU policy, membership and organizing priorities.
- Analyze budget, policy, and legislative proposals for their impact on members and locals, and to further the union’s goals around policy priorities, growth and organizing.
- Research and develop legislation, budget proposals, as well as amendments and comments on proposed regulations, as needed, to ensure SEIU priorities.
- Direct research consultants and vendors and coordinate with advocates, outside organizations, and other unions in the development of policy.
- Perform other duties as required to support the State Council and its mission.
Direction and Decision-Making:
This position reports to the Executive Director and to the Director of Public Affairs & Strategic Campaigns and will work closely with all program directors to accomplish the goals of the organization.
Education and Experience:
- 10 years or more of experience in policy analysis and labor-related research.
- Substantial experience in both public sector and private sector labor research and policy development.
- Experience working through state administrative and regulatory processes.
- Experience with issue development in a political context.
All applicants must be able to effectively demonstrate the following knowledge, skills and abilities:
Research and Analysis
- Thorough knowledge of areas of interest to SEIU Locals and State Council. This includes knowledge of the specific industries, sectors, occupations and other issues of concern to the respective division.
- Thorough understanding of government and policy, including appropriate local, state and federal statutory, regulatory, budgetary and administrative processes.
- Ability to conduct high-level policy analysis.
- Ability to conduct formal research, analyze data and make sound, logical conclusions.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills; ability to clearly communicate complex ideas in writing.
- Ability to make formal presentations and draft policy memos and papers for internal and external audiences.
Organization, Planning and Time Management
- Ability to handle multiple priority projects simultaneously.
- Ability to develop work plans and meet established timelines.
- ￼￼￼Highly organized with an attention to detail.
- Ability to manage time effectively while maintaining a high level of productivity.
Political and Interpersonal Skills
- Ability to work independently as part of, and in coordination with, multiple teams.
- Ability to work with people from diverse backgrounds and cultures.
- Demonstrated political judgment and sound decision-making.
- Skilled in the use of computers for purposes of data analysis, including spreadsheets, bill and budget tracking, PowerPoint and on-line information sources.
- Microsoft Excel – Advanced Level PowerPoint
- Long or extended hours and travel may sometimes be required.
Writing Sample Requirement:
Please submit at least two writing samples to demonstrate research, analysis, and writing capabilities.
Please submit your resume and writing samples, along with any inquiries on the position by September 30, 2017 to: email@example.com.