Job Title: Government Relations Advocate
Reports to: Government Relations Director
Purpose: The Government Relations Advocate is responsible for assisting the Government Relations Director in leading the State Council’s public policy advocacy programs in the legislative, executive and judicial branches of state government and for representing the state government policies and programs of the State Council in the California Legislature, executive departments, and regulatory agencies. Works under the direction of the Government Relations Director.
1. Performs all the duties of the Government Relations Advocate.
2. Assists the Government Relations Director in executing the Government Relations program and policies.
3. Prepares reports on Government Relations activities for the Executive Director and the Executive Board.
4. Other duties and responsibilities as assigned.
Supervisory responsibilities: None
Required Knowledge, Skills and Experience
1. Strong personal commitment to the State Council’s mission and values.
2. Ability to represent the SEIU State Council in all public activities including with members, elected officials, community allies and the labor community.
3. Two or more years of legislative experience, preferably working in a union environment.
4. Outstanding interpersonal skills, with a demonstrated ability to motivate, lead and supervise others.
5. Well skilled at persuading others through excellent oral and written communication.
6. Able to work independently and make decisions under pressure without benefit of consultation.
7. Thorough understanding of the legislative and regulatory processes of California state government.
8. Ability to analyze complex issues quickly and accurately, and to develop and execute effective strategies on many issues at the same time.
9. Excellent verbal and written skills.
10. Knowledge of relevant federal, state, and local laws and regulations and current and pending legislation and court decisions relating to the rights and obligations of SEIU members, leaders, and staff.
11. Knowledge of principles and procedures of the legislative process and techniques of legislative advocacy.
12. Demonstrated ability to contribute to creating a positive work environment that encourages personal responsibility, initiative and innovation.
13. Ability to manage multiple issues and projects simultaneously in a high-pressure environment in which strategies and priorities are constantly changing.
14. Outstanding writing, verbal communication and persuasion skills.
15. Self-motivated, great attitude and strong team player.
16. Strong sense of professionalism and integrity.
17. Willingness to work long hours, including weekends as necessary.
18. Working knowledge of Microsoft Word.
19. Ability to maintain the highest level of confidentiality of information related to and part of the necessary work of the organization.
20. B.A. or B.S. degree preferred.
Extent of Public Contact: High
Fiscal Responsibilities: Responsible for use of organizational credit accounts, and accurate accounting of personal business expenditures and expense reporting process.
Physical Demands of Job: Ability to lift up to 30 lbs.
Working Conditions and Environment: This position is located in Sacramento, CA. Possess a valid driver’s license and own and operate an automobile. Statewide travel and willingness to work long hours including weekends. Ability to maintain professionalism and productivity in high-pressure environment.
To Apply: Submit resume and cover letter to: firstname.lastname@example.org